Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

My attempt at posting to YouTube

After much frustration and way too much screen time, I have posted a video to YouTube.  I created it using Google's Picasa.  It didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped it would.  There are some issues with the timing of the captioning.  For some reason, when I uploaded it to YouTube, the captions were delayed to the last couple of seconds of each slide.  And, I had originally hoped to do a voiceover rather than using captions.  Unfortunately, I've discovered that my thinkpad doesn't have a good mic and recording audio to a video, via Picasa or YouTube isn't a simple endeavour.  Consequently, I had to pare my script down to bare bones.  I did learn quite a bit about Creative Commons and hope to expand on this in a later post. This video is kind of a prelude to such a discussion; is digital creative commons ushering in a 21st century evolution of Paulo's philosophy of education as the practice of freedom?  Anyway, check out the video and if you want to make a comment, feel free, particularly if you have any ideas about fixing the captioning.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce, this is an excellent piece. Great work finding so many images and citing them. I found the text extremely informative and very worthy of this assignment. I see what you mean about the timing on the text; it was very fast, so I had to pause in order to read it but it was a minor inconvenience.
    I'm not sure what would cause that problem. I've noticed that YouTube has an annotator built in but I haven't used it extensively. The annotate tool does not look as nice as the text you placed, so it may be disappointing. I'm sorry your microphone was not up to par. I worry about creating this assignments and the disparate systems that students have to work with can cause an unfair inequity. I think you triumphed overall, however, and it is a really well put together piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Giulia. The best learning always rides that knife-edge between challenge and frustration, in my opinion. So, while I wish things would have gone smoother and the end result could have been better, I learned quite a bit and overall it's been a good experience.

    ReplyDelete